- Anoka Massage & Pain Therapy710 East River Road
Anoka, MN 55303
Mon - Fri 9:30am-8pm Saturday 10am-4pm
- Cupping in Chinese Medicine
- The Liver: Mental & Emotional Aspects
- What’s Inside Your Medicine Cabinet?
During the summer solstice your yang energy reaches its peak. It is important to harness the peak of this yang energy, because as summer shifts into fall yang energy will decline. This great abundance of yang energy will translate throughout your body because during this season you are active and growing.
According to five element theory, during the summer the organ that receives extra energy is the heart.… Read the rest
With the arrival of nicer weather, we have a tendency to be more active than we are in winter. Many outdoor activities like gardening, home improvements, playing with the grandchildren, or walking the dog can make us realize that we were less active over the winter than we should have been.
While the flu is actually not a season, we have become programmed to think of it as the months of November through March. On average, the flu hospitalizes thousands every year, especially the young and elderly. There are also a number of deaths related to the flu, mostly due to people already having compromised immune systems.… Read the rest
The immune system is the body’s natural defense system that helps fight infections. The immune system is made up a network of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to defend the body against attacks by “foreign” invaders. These are primarily tiny organisms such as bacteria, parasites, fungi, and viruses that can cause infections. It is the immune system’s job to keep them out or, failing that, to seek out and destroy them.… Read the rest
Soda and sports drinks are the largest source of added sugar in the American diet.
Did you know?
- Drinking just one 12-oz. soda every day, or 7 sodas per week, can increase your risk of dying from heart disease by almost 1/3.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Too much added sugar from soda and sports drinks can overload critical organs over time, leading to serious diseases like:
- Heart Disease
- Liver Disease
Americans consume an average of 66 pounds of added sugar each year!
Did you know?
- The American Heart Association recommends no more than 6 teaspoons of added sugar per day for women and 9 teaspoons per day for men.
- Yet, we are eating way more than that.
- Americans consume an average of 19.5 teaspoons of sugar per day.
Too much added sugar doesn’t just make us fat. It can also make us sick.
Did you know?
- Growing scientific evidence shows that eating too much added sugar over time is linked to health problems, including serious diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and liver disease.
- Long-term, excessive consumption of added sugar can also disrupt your bodyʼs natural hormonal balance, creating a condition called metabolic syndrome, which is linked to many forms of chronic disease.
Oriental medicine (OM) nutrition combines ancient wisdom with modern science. OM nutrition is a holistic approach, which aims to balance all five flavors within most meals with one or two flavors being emphasized for therapeutic purposes. OM nutrition for a hypertension emphasizes bitter flavors, sour flavors and energetically-cooling foods.
OM theory states the bitter flavor benefits the heart in moderation but an excess is harmful as it has a drying effect; for example, coffee is bitter.… Read the rest
As the school year kicks back into gear so should the healthy habits that you and your children have before practiced. Notice how I said “practiced,” because we all know during the summer-vacation months we tend to indulge a little. Maybe you have had one too many backyard barbecues, or three too many trips to the favorite ice cream shop down the street.… Read the rest
A study published by the JAMA Internal Medicine found that more than 70 percent of Americans consume more than the recommended daily amount of sugar. Sadly, most of us are addicted to sugar, which happens to be hidden in most of the foods and drinks we consume. Added sugar can cause a whole array of problems that can be short term as well as long term.… Read the rest